A Praying Mother

Several of my offspring, including my sweet new DIL,
threw a surprise birthday picnic for me this weekend!


Near the end of his life, the Old Testament prophet and judge Samuel spoke to his people. They had rebelliously asked God for a king, rejecting the Lord as their Ruler. Realizing some of the enormity of their sin, the people asked Samuel to pray for them. Here's how he responded:

Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way.
Only fear the Lord and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, both you and your king will be swept away.” (I Sam 12: 23-25)

I often remind myself of this passage which I think gives an example to fathers and mothers as well as other leaders. As a mother, two of my chief duties are to diligently instruct my sons and my daughters and to faithfully pray for them.

But do you ever wonder kind of impact your prayers and teaching are having? Do you sometimes grow weary in the hard work of mothering, especially in the work of spiritually training and praying for your children?

Tim Challies is currently writing a weekly series called "Christian Men and their Godly Mothers." He'll be posting a new article each Saturday. Start here with the introduction to the series.

Then read about Elizabeth Newton, a frail mother who died before her son was seven, yet left him with a spiritual legacy that lasted his lifetime.

Next you can read Amelia Taylor, mother of Hudson Taylor, who wrestled with God for the salvation of her wayward teenage son until God beautifully answered her prayers.

Even though I was familiar with these famous men, and to some extent their mothers, these stories  encouraged me. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!


Comments

Popular Posts