A Few Scrappy Finishes


Laurel's "pixel pillow"


This summer I took an online quilting class called Patchwork from Scrap taught by Rachel Hauser, the creator of the Stitched in Color blog. This was the second class I've taken from Rachel, and both have been fantabulous!

After reorganizing my scraps based on color family (cools or warms or neutrals) and size/shape (crumbs, strings, squares, and chunks), my leftover bits of fabric suddenly became so much more accessible! Now a quick glance into my plastic sorting box tells me whether I'll have what I need for a particular project.

The first two projects used little bitty scraps, a.k.a. "crumbs." Using 2" squares, I made the pillow above for my granddaughter Laurel's 5th birthday.

Next I made this little bag using raw-edge appliqué finished with zig-zag stitching around the triangle scraps. It's a nice size to hold a current knitting project.



And this week, to celebrate fall, I made a pair of largish, leaf-shaped potholders using a pattern from Buttons and Butterflies. These potholders make great use of "strings", those long thin strips so commonly left over from quilting projects.


Besides the two small projects I finished during the Patchwork From Scrap class this summer, I also started two throw quilts. One of those is finished and the other is in the final stages, getting some large-stitch hand quilting details. But more about those some time in the future!








Comments

Popular Posts