Love Letter from General Washington to His Beloved Martha




Since my visit to Mount Vernon back in December, I've been enjoying learning more about George and Martha Washington, and especially about their marriage. Today I ran across the contents of one of the three surviving letters written between the two.

Why so few letters? In an effort to retain some privacy, when George Washington died, Martha burned the correspondence from their 41 years of marriage. After Martha died, two letters were found wedged under a desk drawer. This was one of them. Written quickly during the Revolution, it shows the tender relationship the two enjoyed.


Phila. June 23d 1775.

My dearest,

As I am withing a few Minutes of leaving this City, I could not think of departing from it without dropping you a line; especially as I do not know whether it may be in my power to write again till I get to the Camp at Boston -- I go fully trusting in that Providence, which has been more bountiful to me than I deserve, & in full confidence of a happy meeting with you sometime in the Fall -- I have not time to add more, as I am surrounded with Company to take leave of me -- I retain an unalterable affection for you, which neither time or distance can change, my best to Jack & Nelly, & regard for the rest of the Family concludes me with the utmost truth & sincerity.

Your entire,

Go: Washington

Source: Mount Vernon website  (It's a wonderful site if you are interested in learning more about George and Martha!)

Comments

Popular Posts