I'm So Blue-hoo-hoo Blue-hoo-hoo Blue-hoo-hoo-hoo!

"I'm so blue-hoo-hoo, blue-hoo-hoo, blue-hoo-hoo-hoo! I so blue I don't know what to do!"
         - Madame Blueberry (Veggie Tales)



It all started with a grubby door and a quart of paint. There's still a good bit of paint left, but my family is ready for me to lay off of the blue.

The door from our garage to the house gets more use than any other door in our house, and it far too quickly shows the residue from the hands (and paws/claws) that go in and out all day. So I got the bright idea of painting the door a dark color to make all that grime harder to see.

Enter Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy.

I don't have a "Before" picture of the door in all its grubby glory, but here's the "After":



But then I still had all this paint left, and something needed to happen to the kids' bathroom. Long ago we painted it with handprints (and one tiny footprint after baby #9 arrived later that summer.) Cute, but outdated. Still - Tim and I were not sure we could bring ourselves to paint over all those memories.


See the itty-bitty footprint on the far end? 





Kids' bath - Before






Definitely time for a change!








What about those cabinets? They'd had a hard life. Tim, as a woodworker, generally abhors painting cabinets. And my paint skills are, um, minimal. But considering their state, we decided it couldn't hurt too much. I put on two coats of oil-based primer, three coats of my good old Hale Navy and a few coats of poly on top.


Instead of obliterating ALL the handprints, we opted to keep the ones under the mirror. After finding me with paint dripping in my hair, Tim asked the girls to take over the wall painting (with Sherwin Williams "Crisp Linen.") We finished the cabinets off with white porcelain knobs to match the vanity top.

 

One of us thinks the paint on the cabinets made an improvement. The other of us doesn't. But we all like the new light fixture and fewer handprints.


At this point, I still had SO much paint left. Who'd have thought a quart of paint would go so far? And my school desk was a mess. Children had papered it with stickers and even postage stamps, painted it with dabs of nail polish, and it even looked like someone had done some teething on one of the drawer edges. Plus, it had those ugly pulls. Once again, it was deemed in such poor shape that even my paint skills couldn't make it worse.

Desk - Before!


 Desk - After!


Even better, Tim built dividers for the top drawers, adding immensely to the functionality. Now I no longer have to rummage around to find staples or erasers.



I've promised everyone that I'm done with the Hale Navy (for now anyway.) But these blue accents are making me anything but blue-hoo-hoo-hoo.

Comments

Popular Posts