Positively Addicting

One of the perks of being an older mom is that I still have the opportunity to join in some pretty cool field trips. This week, for example, Ben and I joined with others from his homeschool cross country team for a day of downhill skiing at Paoli Peaks. Happily for me, I was also joined by a sweet young
Skiing through the woods is the best!
friend who was able to come along. 

While waiting for our lift tickets, conversation amongst some of us adults turned to our own running habits. Running often seems perverse, and the common thread was that each of us usually started our runs thinking, "What am I doing? I think I'm going to die!" But we likewise agreed, that each day, no matter if the temps were in the single digit or the 80s, once we are back home, we are always so glad we stuck it out for the daily romp. There's nothing like a good run to work out stress or for a great time to think. And when the next day rolls around, we're eager to pull on those running shoes and head out once again. Weird, I'll grant you.


Peter and I after finishing a 5K. (He won. I finished.)
Maybe it's an addiction. I'm definitely addicted to getting outside for some movement every day, whether or not that's for a run, walk, or, as this past week, a nice spin around the fields on my cross country skis.

Merriam Webster defines addiction as "the compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (such as heroin, nicotine or alcohol), characterized by tolerance and well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal." 

Generally addictions are to harmful substances, as those listed above, but that description isn't far off in regards to my relationship with running. Certainly when I'm not able to get outside for more than one day, I grow antsy and ready to do anything for a fresh-air cardio workout. Today, after a week of alternative exercise, I was able to hit the snowy roads, and it felt great!

Now there's nothing wrong with working towards having a healthier body, of course. The Apostle Paul reminded Timothy that bodily exercise does profit (a little).

But more important Paul said, was working on developing our spiritual muscles.

"For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come" I Tim. 4:8.

While reading Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon, a few days ago I came upon something similar. Spurgeon, whom I love so much, was writing about prayer, and he said this:

 Prayer must not be our chance work, but our daily business, our habit and vocation. As artists give themselves to their models, and poets to their classical pursuits, so must we addict ourselves to prayer. We must be immersed in prayer as in our element, and so pray without ceasing. Lord, teach us so to pray that we may be more and more prevalent in supplication.

Woah! I must be addicted to prayer!

I'm pretty sure my exercise addition will continue, at least as long as my body holds out. But the addiction I most want to foster is that of daily coming into the presence of the living God, seeking His face, being conformed to His image, and asking for His daily mercies. May I be able to say as David did, "But I give myself to prayer (Psalm 109:4)."

Now that's an addiction worth cultivating!

Comments

Popular Posts