What's on My Reading List: Non-fiction Titles


A friend asked if I could share my "To Read" list. I told her I'd be glad to, but that my list, like pretty much everyone's, is idiosyncratic, reflecting my peculiar interests and tastes. So, looking at my lists, I'm sure you'll think there are some strange volumes on it, but that's OK. Perhaps you'll find some that sound interesting as well.

Note that I'm not planning to read all of these in 2016. I'll accomplish whatever life allows. Unlike the lady above, most of my reading takes place late at night before my eyes insist on closing. Happily, with new Kindle Fire, courtesy of my father, I can now read without keeping my husband awake.

Here are the non-fiction lists I'll be pulling from in 2016. (I'll post about fiction later.)

Morning Devotional Reading

Because my eyes don't focus well both early and late in the day, I do all my daily Bible reading on my (old) Kindle. I keep three translations of the Bible open (NKJV, NASB, and ESV) so I can read through the Old and New Testaments and Psalms simultaneously.
Along with reading the Bible, for several years I have also read Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening, which I highly recommend.


Biographies and Memoir

In My Father's House - Corrie ten Boom   (re-read)
The Autobiography of George Muller
The Wright Brothers - David McCullough
Spurgeon: A New Biography - Arnold Dallimore
The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother - James McBride (re-read)
ADDED:
Rescue the Captors - Russell Stendal
Behind the Scenes, or Thirty Years a Slave and Four Years in the White House - Elizabeth Keachley
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers - Maria Augusta Trapp

Christian Living

Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret - Mr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor
The Pursuit of God - A. W. Tozer
Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert - Rosaria Butterfield
God is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China -        Liao Yiwu
The Great Divorce - C. S. Lewis  (re-read)
ADDED:
Death by Living - N. D. Wilson
Female Piety - John Angell James

Devotional

Hinds Feet on High Places - Hannah Hurnard (re-read from long ago)
Power Through Prayer - E. M. Bounds
Miracles - C. S. Lewis
ADDED:
How I Know God Answers Prayer - Rosalind Goforth


History

Born Survivors: Three Young Mothers and Their Extraordinary Story of Courage, Defiance, and Hope - Wendy Holden
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration - Isabel Wilkerson
The Good Lord Bird - James McBride


Parenting

You are NOT Special and Other Encouragements - David McCulough, Jr.
The Duties of Parents - J. C. Ryle (Working towards this as an annual re-read)


Science and Nature

Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA, and More Tell Us About Crime - Val McDermid
The Soul of Science - Nancy Pearcey
Level 4: Virus Hunters of the CDC - Joseph McCormick
Microbe Hunters - Paul deKruif
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - Annie Dillard


Writing 

The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English - Roy Peter Clark
The Elements of Style - E. B, White (re-read)
The Writing Life - Annie Dillard

Miscellaneous

Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans - Don Brown (Graphic Novel)
Two Hours: The Quest to Run the Impossible Marathon - Ed Caesar (Sports)
The Blind Side - Michael Lewis  (Sports)
Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

Comments

Popular Posts