Dear solace of my soul!

I've written before of Anne Steele who penned the words to "Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul." Here is what she wrote upon the drowning of her fiance just before their wedding.

When I survey life’s varied scene
Amid the darkest hours
Sweet rays of comfort shine between
And thorns are mixed with flowers

Lord, teach me to adore Thy hand
From whence my comforts flow
And let me in this desert land
A glimpse of Canaan know

Is health and ease my happy share?
Oh may I bless my God;
Thy kindness let my songs declare
And spread Thy praise abroad

While such delightful gifts as these
Are kindly dealt to me
Be all my hours of health and ease
Devoted Lord to Thee

In griefs and pains Thy sacred Word
(Dear solace of my soul!)
Celestial comforts can afford
And all their power control

When present sufferings pain my heart
Or future terrors rise
And light and hope almost depart
From these dejected eyes

Thy powerful Word supports my hope
Sweet cordial of the mind
And bears my fainting spirit up
And bids me wait resigned

And oh whate’er of earthly bliss
Thy sovereign hand denies
Accepted at Thy throne of grace
Let this petition rise

“Give me a calm, a thankful heart
From every murmur free
The blessings of Thy grace impart
And let me live to Thee

Let the sweet hope that Thou art mine
My path of life attend
Thy presence through my journey shine
And bless its happy end”

Comments

Amy said…
Beautiful... I think I just found our next memorization piece. Thanks, Anne!

Popular Posts