Mu- Shu Chicken (or Pork, Ground Beef, etc.)

Amy asked for some cheap but healthy recipes. We had this for dinner last night, and I thought this one fits the bill. All but my most picky eater love this "fusion" dish. (It's an Americanized version of a Chinese filling served in a Mexican-style tortilla.) The ingredients are very flexible. Use what you have on hand. I'll list what we used last night. The only key things are cabbage, onions, some type of meat (amount can vary), tortillas, and the sauce.

1 - 1 1/2 # chicken
1/2 head cabbage
1-2 onions, chopped
2-4 carrots, shredded
1/2 t. minced garlic
broccoli stems, peeled and sliced into matchsticks. Flowerettes good too.
water chestnuts (Optional. We just happened to have.)
oil

Stir fry vegetables until cabbage is nearly translucent. If you have a lot, you may need to do this in batches. Remove and set aside. Stir-fry chicken and cook until done.

Add sauce:
1/4 c. sherry
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. ginger
2 T. peanut butter
1-2 t. vinegar
10-20 drops hot sauce
pepper

Add back the vegetables and mix well. If this doesn't seem to be enough sauce, add more soy and sherry. Adjust to taste. Last night I forgot the vinegar and it was still great.

Serve on flour tortillas.

Comments

Amy said…
Thank you! This looks delicious!
Anonymous said…
This was great. I substituted liberally--no broccoli, so I used zucchini and green pepper instead. I also substituted wine for the sherry. It was delicious. Even my veggie-shunners liked it! Thanks for the recipe.

Popular Posts