Some Trust in Chariots (And Some in Mutual Funds)

I’ve been following the stock market implosion, checking out the TED spread, and otherwise worrying what all this will mean for my husband’s business the next year or so. (I mean, who wants to do a major kitchen or bath remodel with all this uncertainty?) But I have been reminding myself that my hope MUST not be in our investments, 529 plans, bank accounts, or (how idiotic!) the U.S. government. My hope must only be in the One who is sovereign over all nations and events, the One who has shown Himself faithful even to Tim and me over and over again.

Doug Wilson has an excellent pastoral exhortation on his blog about the current financial mess, telling us what we ought to be doing during this time. (Interestingly, worry and fear didn’t make it on his list.) Check it out!

Psalm 20

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!
May He send you help from the sanctuary and support you from Zion!
May He remember all your meal offerings and find your burnt offerings acceptable! (Selah)
May He grant you your heart’s desire and fulfill all your counsel!
We will sing for joy over your victory, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners. May the Lord fulfill all your petitions.
Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand.
Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God.
They have bowed down and fallen, but we have risen and stood upright.
Save, O Lord;
May the King answer us in the day we call.

Comments

Popular Posts