Under the Mighty Hand of God

By Tim

Note from Anne: Tim and I were talking today when I said, “You ought to write about that for the blog you are going to start some day!” I write for women, and while Tim’s post is applicable to women, it is more significant for men. But for now other responsibilities weigh heavily on Tim, and there just isn’t time for regular blogging, so this spot will have to do. For the time being, I hope that Tim will periodically post here.


I Peter 5: 5-7
You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.


Being a father teaches me a lot about myself and what people are like. Little children haven’t learned to hide their true natures in order to be acceptable to others. My youngest son Ben, has often needed less sleep than out others, so getting him to sleep can be a challenge at times. Last fall was a time when many nights he refused sleep. Anne and I could look at him and tell he was very tired, so wanting to be gentle with him, I would carry him out on the front porch. It would be dark with the stars shining brightly on a crisp fall night. Ben, wrapped in a blanket, and I would sit in the old rocking chair so I could rock him to sleep. Only he still refused. Ben would strain against me, arch his back and cry loud enough to drown out the coyotes.

As I sat with him I thought how much like me this little one was. Like Ben, I think I know best about what needs to happen in my life. I know what I need to do and when to do it. My heavenly father tries to gently lead me where I need to go and show me what I need to do, and I arch my back and scream and accuse him of not knowing what I really need.

Hebrews 12:5,6
And you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, "MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM; FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."

God knows best about our lives, and like a loving father, He disciplines us. How we react to that discipline determines many things about our future. As I get older I have seen those who arch their back at God’s discipline. They maintain that they still know what is best and they are going to do it! So God pulls in that arched back, He bends it to His shoulder and holds it. Sometimes we will relax at this point, submit ourself to His will and find rest. Others continue to fight and strain thinking that in time God will let them have their way. But God loves them so he turns up the discipline so they will submit to what is best for them.

By the time you reach middle age, the effects of our reaction to God’s discipline really start to show, especially in the church, God’s household. Those who submit to God’s discipline are useful vessels in the hand of the Potter. Those who, in pride, continually “arch their backs” believe they are misunderstood and ignored. They believe they are not being used by God because others hold them back and won’t accept what they have to offer.

Oh, that we would joyful humble ourselves under God’s mighty hand that in due season He would lift us up.

Comments

Popular Posts