Peruvian Markets

Somehow I missed out the shopping gene that women are supposed to have. The only things I enjoy shopping for are books and fabric, and even those I prefer to purchase online. But visiting the markets in Peru was fun! Of course, mostly I just tagged along with my daughter who told me to keep my mouth shut and let her do the bargaining. I tend to feel bad anytime a marketer acts slightly disappointed when offered a lower price, but she assures me it is just part of the game.

We made several excursions to specific places that were known for their markets. And with a large family to buy goodies for, we were kept on our toes looking for just the right thing for each one.

Pisac Market



Hat, blankets, bags - in Ollantaytambo


We visited indoor markets, outdoor markets, markets with whole slabs of alpacas and ones with potatoes of all sizes and varieties. In Lima we even landed on what seemed like a Peruvian version of Walmart. Though it had a different name, it sold WM's Cherokee brand and even smelled similar to our American superstore.

















Chinchero Market - This lovely market had the largest selection of handmade textiles. The elevation here is 12, 343'!

I so wanted to buy one of these sets of seeds for a special biologist I know.
However, with the attention I seemed to attract every time I went through security or customs, it would have been a bad idea.













This store clerk in Cuzco had fun dressing Kristen and I in Peruvian costumes. Technically, Kristen's hat should be tilted, as befits her single status. Staid matron I am, mine sits levelly on my head.








Not a market per se, but this fellow was walking down the street in Cuzco with his flowers on his back.

With all these lovely Peruvian markets, would you be surprised to learn that we left with our baggage (carry-on only) crammed to the brim with textiles and other goodies?
0 Responses