June Links: Loving Latin!

I've spent many free hours this month putting together a labor of love: a Latin interactive notebook (INB.)

I became a fan of INBs while teaching algebra to my 8th grader. For subjects such as math or Latin grammar, an interactive notebook serves as a concise collection of easily retrievable information. Making my INB has provided some great review of Latin grammar for me, as I am pretty sure it will in the fall when I have each of my youngest sons assemble their own versions.

 (I'll toss in a few pics here so you get the idea of what it looks like.)




As I've been working on my Latin INB, I've come up with some fun Latin sites, so for this month's "links" post, I wanted to share these sites and articles.






http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jwg3/HAtlas/roman.html








So, as you know, the Romans ruled Britain for a couple hundred years and left an indelible mark on what became modern English. Well, it seems in contemporary England using Latin phrases is considered snooty and discriminatory. In 2008 the Bournemouth Council banned a whole slew of Latin words and phrases including bona fide and status quo. Here's their list to avoid along with their suggested plain-speak alternatives. (I found it a useful list of terms I DO want my boys to master.)




















Do your kids wonder why they should study Latin anyway? They might be interested in 18 Ordinary Words that Julius Caesar Spoke or this list of 300+ words from "Latin Lives On" that have been used for almost 2000 years virtually unchanged. Or read Karen Moore's answer to the question as to why anyone might want to study this dead language. (She's the author of Classical Academic Press's high school series, Latin Alive.)












Here's one of my favorite pages in the INB. It has a pocket which holds a fan-folded booklet of a tale called "An Adventure with a Lion."  In this story, which must come from some old Latin primer, a hunter encounters a lion, and each page illustrates a preposition.

My favorites? "In leone" ( = on top of the lion) and "In leonem ( = inside the lion.) The noun case makes all the difference!















Many of the INB pages are simply copies of charts from our Latin for Children textbooks. Classical Academic Press has a number of free support products including a set of verb and noun ending printable charts  (right page below.)
Present tense verbs 




Speaking of Classical Academic Press, if you are using their materials, make sure you avail yourself of their funtastic Headventureland site! My boys use this almost daily to review vocabulary, and this past year I signed Ben up for the paid site so he could access more features.




Every spring some in my family take the National Mythology Exam, and when we have high school Latin students, they take the National Latin Exam. Here are some tips for preparing for the NLE. If you are interested in either test, make sure to register your students before the end of the calendar year. There's also an Exploratory Latin Exam available for students in grades 3-6. Registration for that test ends on March 1.




And carae magistrae, do you not think this Colosseum sofa would make a superb seat from which to teach Latin?





Teaching Latin gives students a great base for English vocabulary development and is one of the best ways to teach grammatical analysis. But there's no doubt that it isn't all that useful as a spoken language. So if you are wondering what non-dead language to teach your kids, you might want to take a look at The World's Most Spoken Languages in a Single Infographic (Hint: Latin doesn't even show up.)  Foreign languages at home can be especially tough. Daughter Faith is currently using Mango Languages to learn German. Many public libraries, ours included, offer the online Mango program which is comparable to, but in my opinion, superior to, Rosetta Stone.

Comments

Peter Locke said…
This is a great idea, and I appreciate the pictures, too.

My best idea lately has been skip counting at dinner. If a child talks with food in their mouth, they have to count to ten. Then it's 2's to 20 and then 3's to 30, etc. It also applies to interrupting or forgetting to use a fork. I can't say table manners have improved, but we're mastering our math!

-Kimberly in Michigan
Anne said…
What a fun way to work on etiquette at the table!

Popular Posts